On November 27, 2009, the Collège des médecins du Québec (CMQ), the Conseil national de l’Ordre des médecins and the Ministère de la Santé et des Sports de France signed a Arrangement de reconnaissance mutuelle (ARM) (Mutual Recognition Agreement) to promote medical workforce mobility between France and Quebec.
The agreement applies to physicians in Quebec or France who:
- are legally authorized to practice medicine;
- have a credential from an authority that is recognized or designated by Quebec or France.
The agreement does not apply to physicians who completed their medical training or residency program in a faculty of medicine outside Canada, the United States or France, or who practice a specialty that is not listed in the Québec-France agreement. They must follow the regular permit application pathways:
Requirements to practice in Quebec:
- You have a State Doctor of Medicine degree from a faculty of medicine that is located and provides training in France; and
- You completed your postgraduate training (residency/internship) in general medicine or in one of the other Specialties listed in the agreement at a French university; and
- You have a specialist’s certificate from a French university in the specialties listed in the agreement; and
- You are a member in good standing of the Conseil national de l’Ordre des médecins in France, entered on the Roll of the Ordre des médecins in France as a general practitioner or specialist, with no restriction or limitation of practice resulting from an administrative measure, voluntary commitment or disciplinary or criminal ruling. Nor are you the subject of any proceedings that could lead to a conviction or sanction that might have an impact on your registration with the CMQ.
- You have practiced competently in the area of medical expertise for which the restrictive permit application is being submitted for 12 months during the two years preceding your application.
- You successfully completed your adaptation/assessment period.
- You completed the ALDO-Québec educational activity within one year of submitting your permit application.
- You have submitted your application to physiciansapply.ca.
The Medical Education Division is responsible for the identification and coordination of the assessment sites. Any personal initiative is forbidden because it makes reference to the appearance of conflict or to conflict of interests.
We take this opportunity to remind you that you are responsible for all endeavours concerning getting settled in Québec and searching for a practice position (regional medical staffing plans - PREM), both of which are independent factors from the CMQ pathway leading to the issuance of a permit to practice. Information: section General information - restricive permit.
The CMQ assumes no responsibility for the immigration procedure, with the exception of the temporary measures for the sole purpose of the adaptation/assessment period.
Since April 1st 2016, any candidate who wishes to obtain a financial support from Recrutement Santé Québec (RSQ) will have to conclude a sponsorship agreement. Without a sponsorship, the Ministry of Health and Social services (MSSS) can not guarantee a position.
Questions about the ARM?
Quebec – Collège des médecins du Québec
Requirements to practice in France:
- You have a Doctor of Medicine degree from one of Quebec’s four faculties of medicine; and
- You have completed, in a program accredited in Quebec, postgraduate training (residency) in family medicine or in one of the other specialties listed in the agreement; and
- You have a credential in general medicine or in one of the specialties listed in the agreement from a Quebec university; and
- You are a member in good standing of the CMQ, entered on the Roll of the CMQ as a general practitioner / family physician or specialist with no restriction or limitation of practice resulting from an administrative measure, voluntary commitment or disciplinary or criminal ruling.
||You must submit a request for a file review to the Conseil national de l’Ordre des médecins. You must provide the documents required to put your file together. Where applicable, you will be granted individual authorization to practice and you will be able to have your name entered on the Roll of the Ordre des médecins in France.
Questions about the ARM?
France – Conseil national de l’Ordre des médecins