If you are an international medical graduate (IMG) and have an academic profile that meets an exceptional need, you may apply for a restrictive permit if you obtain a selected professor position in one of Quebec’s four faculties of medicine.
This step must be completed before you submit your application. The permit will be valid for the duration of your contract and may be converted subject to the applicable terms and conditions.
Conversion of a permit
- You have a Doctor of Medicine degree or an equivalent degree from a school or faculty listed in the International Medical Education Directory (IMED) published by the Foundation for Advancement of International Medical Education and Research (FAIMER).
- You have completed postgraduate training that is roughly equivalent to that required in Quebec for the specialty for which the restrictive permit application is being submitted.
- You have a specialist’s certificate in the discipline for which the restrictive permit application is being submitted.
- You have practiced competently in the area of medical expertise for which the restrictive permit application is being submitted for 12 months during the two years preceding your application.
- You have provided proof of French language proficiency (see exemptions) Examination required
- You have successfully completed the Office québécois de la langue française (OQLF) examination. Examination required. If you fail the exam, you must sit the exam again every year before you renew your restrictive permit.
- You completed the ALDO-Québec educational activity before obtaining your permit.
- You have submitted your application to physiciansapply.ca.
Criteria for the immediate withdrawal of a restrictive permit without further formality:
- The permit holder is struck off or requests that his name be removed from the Roll of the CMQ;
- The permit holder no longer has privileges in an institution, confirmed by a resolution of the institution’s board of directors;
- The permit holder ceases to practice;
- The permit holder does not have a selected professor position in a Quebec university, irrespective of the institution he has privileges in.
For information, write to: firstname.lastname@example.org