The Collège is continuing all of its activities remotely during the pandemic. Visitors are admitted by appointment only.
Visit the Contact us page for our opening hours and contact details.

Medical records kept at the Collège


When a physician ceases to practice, his medical records are either transferred to a transferee or transferred temporarily to a provisional custodian. Anyone who would like to obtain their medical record can call 514 933-4441 (during opening hours) or write to

A transferee means a physician or a group of physicians to whom a physician’s effects are transferred at the time of permanent cessation of practice.

A provisional custodian means a physician, a group of physicians or the legal representatives of a deceased physician who are entrusted with his effects before a transferee is appointed or during the temporary cessation of medical practice.

The Collège may, in some cases, be appointed the transferee or provisional custodian of a physician’s medical records.

You may also consult the List of physicians whose records have been transferred to the Collège for provisional custody.

How to obtain a medical record held by the Collège


If a person’s medical record is held by the Collège, they can call 514 933-4441, extension 5507 to find out the procedure to follow to obtain a copy. The person (patient making the request) can also print out the form below, fill it out, sign it and return it to the Collège along with a copy of his or her health insurance card.

Printable form


The physician must use his own form to authorize the transmission of confidential information to obtain a patient’s original medical record after obtaining the patient’s written consent (signature).

The physician must then fax it to 514 933-4096 or mail it to:
Collège des médecins du Québec
Legal Services Division – Transfer of files
Office 3500
1250, René-Lévesque boul. West
Montreal (Quebec)
H3B 0G2

Retention period for records

The transferee or provisional custodian must maintain the medical records for a period of at least 5 years after the date of the last entry or inclusion in the record, as appropriate, or if it involves a research project, the date on which the project ends. After this 5-year period, the record is considered inactive and may be destroyed.

Last update: September 1, 2021